6 (4 ounces each) chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (24 ounces total)
1½ cups onions, diced
1¼ cups red bell pepper, diced
½ cup salsa (medium heat), I used Pace Chunky Salsa
⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon peanut butter, chunky or smooth
¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons rice vinegar or other white vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoon garlic, minced
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
12 cups cabbage, shredded
6 tablespoons green onions, diced, for topping, optional
1. Add chicken, onions and red bell peppers to the bottom of the crock-pot.
2. In a small bowl, add all sauce ingredients and blend well. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Be sure everything is coated well.
3. Cook on low heat for 4 hours or on high heat 2 hours. Once done, remove chicken, cool slightly and shred or dice into small pieces.
4. Just before serving: Add cabbage to a large bowl and steam in microwave for 2-3 minutes, until soft.
5. To serve: Place about 1½ cups steamed cabbage on each plate. Top with 1 cup chicken including sauce.
6. Freeze any leftovers, if desired. Add cabbage, chicken and sauce to an individual containers and freeze.
Makes 6 servings. Each serving, 1 cup chicken and sauce and about 1½ cups cooked cabbage.
for 1 serving
3g sat fat