“This is a great recipe to me because I absolutely love eating breakfast and it doesn’t matter what time of day it is. When I bite into a soft buttery bagel with just the perfect crunch and flake, with an explosion of maple syrup it is a treat, let me tell you. With the ham being browned, it brings out all the flavors. Nothing is better than the hot melted cheese and warm soft yolk. In addition, all of these flavors together bring me back to when my Grandma would make a big family breakfast, and now I have it all in a simple bagel!”
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons butter in a skillet over medium heat; arrange bagel halves, cut sides down, in the melted butter. Cook until bagel is very slightly toasted and softened, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer bagel to a plate.
- Cook ham slices in the same skillet until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Arrange 2 ham slices onto each bagel half.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons butter in the same skillet; cook eggs in the melted butter until whites are set but yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes. Gently flip eggs and cook until whites are set, about 1 more minute. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Layer eggs and American cheese slices onto 1 bagel half; top with the second bagel half, creating a sandwich.
- Place bagel sandwich back in the skillet and cover with a lid; heat until cheese is melted, about 45 seconds per side.
- Transfer bagel sandwich to a plate; drizzle with maple syrup.