! (6oz) box Whole Grain Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
¼ cup reduced-fat cottage cheese or fat-free ricotta cheese
¼ cup reduced-fat milk
3 tablespoons reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
1¼ chopped tomatoes, grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half, drain liquid
1 slice multigrain bread or whole wheat bread, I like Milton’s
1 teaspoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions but cook al dente. Set aside the package of cheese to add later.
2. To make the bread crumbs: Toast the bread. Add to a blender and pulse to make crumbs.
3. While macaroni is cooking, in a small pan or pot, melt 1 teaspoon of reduced-fat butter. Add bread crumbs and mix to coat.
4. Drain macaroni. Add back to pot and mix in the package of cheese from the box, cottage cheese or ricotta cheese, milk, cheddar cheese and 1 tablespoon butter. Mix well. Stir in the tomatoes. Remove from heat.
5. Coat a 9 x 9” pan with cooking spray. Add the macaroni and cheese and spread evenly.
Sprinkle with bread crumbs evenly over the top. Set aside until just ready to serve.
5. When ready to serve, set the broiler rack on the second line, not the very top. Preheat broiler. Place under broiler and cook until bread crumbs are golden brown. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
6. Remove from oven, cut into 4 squares. Using a spatula, remove each serving onto a plate.
Makes 4 servings (about 1 cup each)
for 1 serving (1 cup)
1.6g sat fat