A twist on my traditional Italian meatballs, but fun and tasty!
- 1 lb. extra lean ground round or ground beef ( 93%-95% lean)
- 1 package hot turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed ( 19 oz. package)
- 1/2 c. bread crumbs
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- garlic powder and pepper to taste
- 6 oz. part-skim mozzarella, cubed ( 18-20 cubes)
Mix ground round, Italian sausage, bread crumbs, Parmesan, garlic powder and pepper. Form into meatballs. Press a cube of cheese into each ball and form meat around cheese making sure cheese is completely encased.
In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs on all sides, making sure to sear the meat so that cheese does not leak out.
Cook cheese in your favorite marinara sauce for several hours. I cooked mine in a crock pot on low heat for 7-8 hours.