2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 bay leaf
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 slices whole wheat bread, crust removed, I love Milton’s multi-grain or their whole wheat bread
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1½ cups fresh spinach, stems removed
¼ teaspoon Italian seasonings
½ cup reduced-fat milk, as desired
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic and bay leaf. Cook onions until soft, about 3 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes and mash with a a potato masher or the back of a large spoon. Stir in broth.
3. Crumble in bread, Italian seasonings and pepper. Mix well. Bring up to almost a boil and then down to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in spinach and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in ½ cup milk and cook for 2-3 minutes until heated completely. Remove bay leaf.
6. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheese on top of each serving.
Makes 5 cups (each serving, 1 cup)
for 1 cup