- About 8 cups plain popcorn
- 1 cup pecans (3 1/2 ounces), coarsely chopped and toasted
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Special Equipment
- A candy or deep-fat thermometer
- Toss popcorn and pecans in a large bowl.
- Line bottom of a 17-by 11-inch 4-sided sheet pan with foil, then lightly oil foil.
- Melt butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add maple syrup and salt and boil (still over medium heat), without stirring, until thermometer registers 300°F, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pour syrup over pecans and popcorn, stirring briskly with a lightly oiled spoon or silicone spatula to coat, then immediately spread popcorn in pan in 1 layer. Cool completely, then break into bite-size pieces.
Maple pecan popcorn keeps in an airtight container at cool room temperature 1 week.