Yield: 4 dozen cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine the butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla extract, cardamom and salt. Using a spoon, stir in the flour until well mixed.
- Pack the dough into the cookie press. Fit with the desired disk design. Press the dough out onto ungreased baking sheet spacing the cookies 1 inch apart.
- Bake until lightly golden, about 10-12 minutes. Gently transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with vanilla sugar, if desired, or decorate with colored sugars. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
For chocolate cookies: Replace the cardamom with 2 tablespoons of milk, and add 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder along with the all-purpose flour.